Born in Vincennes, September 4, 1922, Roger Capron was originally interested in drawing. He was a student of Applied Arts in Paris from 1939 to 1943 and worked as an art teacher in 1945. He died on November 8 2006 leaving behind a considerable body of work that is recognized worldwide.
In 1946, Roger Capron moved to Vallauris, where he founded a ceramics workshop known as ‘l`Atelier Callis’, contributing to the renaissance of ceramics in Vallauris.
In 1952, Roger Capron bought an abandoned pottery in Vallauris and opened a small ceramics factory, with 15 workers. By 1957 he had established a considerable international reputation. In 1980 his factory employed 120 people. Following an economic crisis, the factory was closed in 1982. During the 1980s he reverted to making one off pieces which were shown internationally.